Microsoft UK has a very cool opportunity for young people in Berkshire. I saw a sign for this in the town centre, so I set out to research the details of how young people can get work placement experience at Microsoft in Reading.Anyone with enthusiasm can apply for the programme. This isn’t just IT work experience. You needn’t be a computer geek, although perhaps by the end of the week you’ll be heading in that direction!
Here’s the basics of the Microsoft Britain Works programme:
- Work placements are available from January to February at the Microsoft Reading campus.
- Applicants must be aged between 16-25.
- An assessment day will be on Wednesday, 26 January.
- The placement lasts for one week. The next available intake is for Monday, 31 January, to Friday, 4 February.
- Microsoft will pay for travel within Reading Borough Council.
The week promises to encourage:
- Confidence building
- Team building
- Classes in use of office software and the Internet
- CV preparation
- Interview skills
- A bit of Xbox Kinect fun time
I found this information from the Berkshire Neighbourhood Learning Centres Partnership. To apply for Microsoft work placements in Reading, click here.
Well done to Mr Bill Gates and his crew for taking such a shine to Reading! With the UK headquarters of Microsoft being situated at Thames Valley Park in Reading, we reap the rewards of entrepreneurs investing in our community. I hope this scheme inspires other private organisations to also do their bit in tackling youth unemployment by providing that “first step” opportunity.
If you or anyone you know applies for Microsoft Britain Works, get in touch for a possible feature on your experience!